Submit an application

5 steps to submit an application for subsidized housing

1  Have you checked your eligibility?

Eligibility criteria

2  Obtain the application form

You can obtain the application form in any of the following ways:

3  Fill out the form and sign it

4  Include the following documents with your application:

  1. Proof of residency for the past two years, including copies of your current and former leases;
  2. Proof of Canadian citizenship or your immigrant status;
  3. and, for each adult who will reside in the low-rent housing:
    1. either a copy of that person’s latest notice of assessment from Revenu Québec;
    2. or, if this is not available, a copy of that person’s latest tax return to Revenu Québec and all tax statements received (T4, T4A, Relevé 1, etc.).

5  Send the application and attachments to us by mail or bring them in person to:

Housing Applications and Reference Department
400, boulevard Rosemont
Montréal, QC
H2S 0A2 
Google Map


Types of housing

Low-rent housing is the most important and most popular of the subsidized housing programs. Even though the OMHM has almost 21, 000 low-rent housing units, waiting lists are still extensive. 

But there are other options to low-rent housing, including:

  • Rent Supplement Programs (PSL), which offer subsidized housing;
  • affordable housing for people living alone and families; 
  • for seniors, the OMHM offers residences with services. 

Subsidized housing

For low-rent housing and PSL programs, tenants pay a rent equivalent to 25% of the household income. Low-rent housing is managed by the OMHM. Housing that is part of the PSL programs may be managed by the OMHM, by a housing coop or by a private landlord. 

For low-rent housing and PSL programs, you must meet the seven (7) eligibility criteria. Your application will be assessed by a tenant selection committee. 

Please note that, if you are a victim of domestic violence or if you are mobility-impaired, you may not be required to meet criterion 2.

Please refer to the Living in subsidized housing in Montreal leaflet for further information.

When you fill out an application for OMHM subsidized housing, it is valid for both low-rent housing and PSL housing. You do not have to submit a separate application for both types of housing.

To be allocated housing as part of the rent supplement program (PSL) in a coop or a not-for-profit organization, please apply directly to such organizations. 

Find a coop  Find housing in a not-for-profit organization

Affordable housing

Affordable housing is housing that is offered below market price, either in one- to four-bedroom apartments or studios. They are managed by the OMHM.

Even if your income is higher than that stated in criterion 5, you may be eligible for OMHM affordable housing if you meet criteria 1, 3, 6 and 7. For further information about renting a low-rent housing unit, contact our affordable housing management department, phone: 514 483-4118, during regular office hours.

Available housing

Residences with services for seniors

These residences are managed by the OMHM. Rent includes:

  • heating,
  • electricity,
  • hot water,
  • one meal a day,
  • cable and telephone,
  • leisure activities.

Even if your income is higher than that stated in criterion 5, if you are aged 60 or over and meet criteria 1, 3, 6 and 7, you may be eligible for a place in a ENHARMONIE residence.

ENHARMONIE residences


Find out more about the types of housing and housing programs

Q&A for housing applicants

I’d like information on affordable housing with services for seniors.

You can obtain more information about our residences with services for seniors at:

How can I check the availability of affordable housing for families or people living alone?

You can check our offer of affordable housing, which is updated regularly, on this website, in the Available housing section. You can also contact us by phone at 514-483-4118.

How do I send you documents requested by the Housing Application Department representatives?

You can e-mail them to us, mail them to us at 400, boulevard Rosemont, Montréal (Québec), H2S 0A2 or drop them in our mailbox located at this same address. 

I’ve been waiting for a long time for a low-rent apartment. Is there any way I can speed up my application?

Your place on the eligibility list is valid for one year. Keep your application valid by renewing it each year and updating it whenever there is a change in the composition of your household. You must also report any change in your eligibility information, including a change of address or telephone number.

Can I change my choice of territories?

Yes. Please call our Housing Application Department at 514-868-5588 about any changes in choice of territories that you would like to make.

How do I change my address or phone number in my application for low-rent housing?

For any changes in your file, please call our Housing Application Department at 514-868-5588, send an email by clicking here or write to us at at 400, boulevard Rosemont, Montréal (Québec), H2S 0A2. You can also drop them in our mailbox located at this same address. 

Can I get a subsidy for my apartment?

If you are interested in receiving a subsidy allowing you to stay in your current apartment, we can register this interest in your file. Please note, however, that the allocation of these subsidies, if they are available, is done in the same way as for low-rent housing or PSL programs, i.e. in compliance with the Règlement sur l'attribution des logements à loyer modique and the classification of applications on the waiting lists.

Some tenants can get a subsidy under the shelter allowance program. However, if you are a tenant in a low-rent unit, you are not eligible for it. Please check the information on the Revenu Québec site. 

How can I find out my position on the waiting list?

You can check your position online, by selected territory, by clicking the “Check Your Eligibility List Position Online” tab of the Housing Application section. You will need to enter your reference number. Positions are updated each month around the 20th day.

A person who does not have Internet access can also call us at 514-868-5588 to check their position.