Tenant support – rent payment

In this difficult period, we wish to support our tenants in low-rental housing who are experiencing payment difficulties. In order to avoid the accumulation of arrears, we encourage tenants to contact our collection agents. Together, they can work out a payment agreement and discuss various options. To obtain the contact details of your collection agent based on your address, please call your tenant agent. 

During the crisis, the basic rent continues to correspond to 25% of the total monthly income of each of the occupants, according to the By-law respecting the conditions for the leasing of dwellings in low-rental housing. If a tenant experiences a decrease in income (loss of job, reduction in working hours, etc.), we invite them to contact their rental agent as soon as possible in order to request a rent reduction. Please note that the rent reduction will be applied starting with the month following the acceptance of the request. It is important to have proof of current income for all occupants who contribute to the rent. The agent will certainly ask to provide them.

Social assistance
For social assistance income, tenants must also provide a certificate confirming the current social assistance program. To obtain this certificate, tenants must call their social assistance agent or the Communications Center to request that the completed form be mailed. If you do not have your agent’s phone number, you can call the general number: 514-873-4000. Normally, the request will be processed within 24 hours.

Due to the current circumstances, our collection offices are closed until further notice. As it is no longer possible to pay your rent in cash, you can choose one of the following solutions:

  • Direct debit payment - Download the form at the bottom of this page https://www.omhm.qc.ca/fr/covid19 and fill it out. A sample check must be attached with the words "cancelled" written on it. Mail it to the OMHM or deposit it in the mailbox at the entrance of our offices at 255, rue Crémazie, 2247, rue Delisle or 3330, boulevard de l’Assomption. (Full addresses at the bottom of this page) https://www.omhm.qc.ca/en/contact-us
  • By postal order or money order - Canada Post and banks continue to accept cash. Go to their nearest office to buy a postal or money order and mail it to the OMHM. Attach the receipt (indicating the fee you paid for the order) and we will deduct the fee from your rent.
  • By personal check - you can send us a personal check by mail. Make sure to leave sufficient funds in your bank account to avoid fees.
  • If you are in complete isolation and cannot leave your home, call our collection agent to work out an agreement.

For the time being, hearings at the Régie du logement are suspended and private agreements between tenants and owners are encouraged.

You may also want to find out if you are eligible for the financial assistance measures that have been put in place by governments.

Apply for Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) with the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA)


Information about Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan


Employment insurance


Family support and support for individuals

https://www.quebec.ca/en/family-and-support-for-individuals/financial-assistance/ including Social Assistance and Social Solidarity


Temporary Aid for Workers Program (PATT)


Please note: This program, offered by the Government of Québec since March 19, 2020 in partnership with the Red Cross, has ended on April 10, 2020 at 4 p.m. This decision has been made after the implementation of the CERB on April 6, 2020.